Discover the recipe of the traditional dish of the Riviera Romagnola: the piadina. Here is the recipe.
THE RECIPE OF PIADINA ROMAGNOLA
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
- 1 cutting board
- 1 rolling pin
- 1 baking sheetINGREDIENTS (for 8/10 piadine):
- 1 kg of type “0” flour (replaceable with type “1” semi-whole flour);
- 1 teaspoon of honey (replaceable with 1 teaspoon of sugar – for those allergic to honey – );
- 100 grs. of lard (for those not on a diet. Otherwise, for the more attentive, even 50 gr. or those who do not like lard, 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil are enough);
- milk and water (a bit ‘warm) enough to get a dough of the right consistency;
- 1/2 sachet of yeast (not vanilla), replaceable with 4 gr. of baking soda;
- 1 pinch of salt.
Let’s get to the heart of the preparation of Piadina Romagnola!
On the wooden chopping board, put the flour, with the lard dissolved with milk and water in the center.
Continue kneading (adding honey, salt, yeast) until you obtain a fairly firm dough (do not work it too hard because it could form bubbles during cooking), and let it rest for about an hour covered with a cloth.
Then divide the dough into 8/10 parts, to form small “balls”.
Using a rolling pin, stretch them out to form the piadina of a diameter of about 25/30 cm. The thickness depends very much on the taste; we from Cervia like it a little thick (about 6 mm), while the people from Rimini like it very thin (it grows during cooking).
The piadina must be cooked on a cast iron baking sheet (or better still, the classic terracotta text – which you can easily find at the Cervia market on Thursday mornings) under which it must burn a fairly high heat because the piadina must be cooked quickly. It is good to “churn out” both surfaces of the piadina with a fork to improve the internal cooking.
As the cooking proceeds on the surface, small-medium bubbles form, giving it its characteristic appearance.
We suggest you to taste it hot, stuffing it with squacquerone and rocket, or with the classic cold cuts (ham, salami, mortadella). GOOD APPETITO!
We, the real people of Romagna, propose it every Sunday evening at the Hotel, with a typical Romagna dinner, with which you can make the shoe with meat sauce of homemade tagliatelle or eat it with grilled meat.
W la piadina romagnola!
For our traditional recipes, click here: https://hotel-loretta.it/recipes-of-italian-cuisine/?lang=en
Visit our Facebook page “Hotel Loretta Cervia”
Tel. +39 0544 971115
Whatsapp: +39 320 241 1937